Friday, May 2, 2008

Yesterday actually went really smoothly. I hit the ground running when I got to work. We all had a nice laugh when I asked who took my stapler. (Totally an Office Space moment!) Traffic on the way to work was smooth, but going home was a slightly different story. Nothing out of the norm, but it did suck! I'm not looking forward to that this summer. So much so that I'm motivated to take the train. Not only will I save $$, but I can get a 2 mile roundtrip walk out of it AND do a small part to help the environment. Whee! Today was going to be the test run, but instead I had to cancel since it was still raining during my projected time to leave. No worries, I'm scheduled to do it on Monday regardless if it is raining or not. I'm going to find my poncho and I need to find a proper bag to carry everything. Obviously, since I'll be walking, I need to have my work shoes (not going to walk a mile in my heels!) and maybe even my work top (to ward off any outside stink, right?). I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Anyway, work kept me busy all day long and that was a relief! I didn't have much time to think and lament over not being around Mari. Best of all, I didn't have one breakdown. There were a couple of times where I was about to get sad, but I just looked at her picture and played the video on my phone and all was better. When I got home, I was greeted by her happy, sleepy smile. She'd just gotten up from her nap and was ready to eat. I quickly (and excitedly) complied and it was great to hold her in my arms. My mom was wonderful! She tracked everything, her diaper changes, feedings, nap times, and even her swing time! So I know this helped Mari with her routine and made her feel more confident in my leaving. I called yesterday and it was great to hear Mari in the background talking and cooing. My mom said that they were playing, so that was fantastic to hear.

This morning was no different, other than she got up at 4 instead of 5:30. No worries, because I went right back to sleep until 6. She got up then and ate some more. She was awake the entire time I got dressed and then when I handed her to my mom and kissed her bye, she dozed off. [good girl] Seriously, that was such a relief and I'm so very grateful to my mom and her being around for that. She's just so incredible with children, so very nurturing! I'm glad Mari has that special bonding time with her. Potts Family, you are very lucky that your mom and MIL are able to help out with Braelyn. I wish both of mine lived closer so Mari could have that time too. (sidenote: how did you find your sitter?)

So anyway, that's that. I'm a bit tired, but it doesn't compare to how I was when I was pregnant. I've not fallen asleep in the bathroom stall, so I'm doing great! ha ha! Oh and many thanks for all of the support that I've received from you guys and to my sister for calling me first thing to wish me luck, to Don for the hidden post-it notes of encouragement, Simon for his text and phone call, and Carol for the thoughtful email. Thanks you guys!


The Steinman Squad said...

Congratulations on making it through the first day without a break down! I was going to tell you that if you were looking for a good place for Mari (you may prefer an individual for your sitter), but, if you need a place we use First Baptist Church Plano's Weekday School for Briana and would highly recommend it. I love the place. We love the ladies that keep her and she really enjoys it. They each love Briana so much and it shows in the care they give her. Just thought I'd share that info with you in case you need it for future reference.

Good luck next week! And enjoy your weekend with Mari.

The Potts Family said...

I'm so glad the transition back is going smoothly. There's nothing better than coming home to that big smile, is there?
yes, we are so blessed to have family watch her two days a week and we have an INCREDIBLE sitter. She is the sister-in-law of one of our neighbor's who runs a home daycare. She was full with kids for her home daycare, but recommended Maria who was staying home with her baby boy and looking to earn a little extra money watching another baby. We met with her and I had that "mommy instinct" that my child would be safe with her, and HAPPY. And, my gosh, she IS! Maria loves Braelyn like she's her own. blessings, blessings, blessings. Besides staying home, I couldn't ask for a better situation.
I know you can do searches for home daycares in your area. A lot of people even have websites. I would second the recommendation of a church daycare as well. There are lots of sweet women who work at those places whose greatest joy in life is to love on babies!
Good luck - hope you have a good second week at work!!

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan